Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Media Debate Video Editing


What a daunting task! I know the ins and outs of using the old version of iMovie, but my new computer has the newest version. I am slowly getting the hang of using the new controls. As always with the software already installed on the computer, there is not a manual to accompany it. I can see why some people don't like the new version of iMovie; however, one great function is extending the media clip as it is in your project. The old version, you had to split the clip at the playhead and the excess clip went to the iMovie trash. Although you could retrieve the clip in the trash, you had to put the clip back together. Now all you have to do is grab the end of the clip and extend it as much or as little as you want. It actually saves you time. I am used to cutting the clip using the spacebar and the longer view of the clip so I can get really tight edits. I am sure with time I will grow to like this version. The sound and sound effect capabilities are better and easier to use.

Right now, I am about 30 seconds into the 3 minute clip I will be posting on my blog and my electronic portfolio. I am happy with what I have done so far, though I am beginning to dislike the sound of my own voice after repeatedly listening and fine tuning the media clips. The next step is to finish editing all of the clips I want to use in the project. Later, I will add transitions, titles, and end credits. Music will be the last thing I add if I decide to use music or sound effects. It will all depend on if it is appropriate for the project.

One of my future tasks is to figure out how to use the clip I got from my flash drive. It is in Mpeg format though iMovie will not allow me to import it. There must be some sort of conversion process it has to go through before it is able to be imported. I can view the clip in Toast, but not using Quicktime. Very odd! Maybe during spring break I can figure out how to use it.

1 comment:

  1. I prefer i-movie 06 rather than the newest version by far! I usually import files into I-Movie as a quicktime file. I got a great video converter for free off he internet called "Quick Media Converter"

    ReplyDelete